Search This Blog

Friday 29 July 2011

Letter to Mother: July 29th 1916

My dear Mother
Everything very peaceful at the moment you can hardly hear the guns; the flat country looks quite nice with all the hop fields, poplars and ripe crops, and one can almost smell the sea.
Lord Cavan came to look me up yesterday morning which was very nice of him. I also got a message from Percy saying that he and a pal of mine were quite handy and would I come in for a meal, so I rode over to lunch yesterday. He was looking very well indeed, and had entirely lost that tired War Office look. I also found that his Corps commander was an old friend who looked after us earlier in the war, and the other brigadier there was a man I knew, so I had quite a pleasant lunch. I put my horse up in Percy’s stable and his groom took a keen interest in me as a brother of Johns. Several other friends have looked in at odd times.
When we go into the trenches we have got he best hd qrs in Europe, absolutely safe, tiled floors, electric light and all modern conveniences.
No leave going at present, but it must open again soon.
Very good news from the Russians again today, the Belgians have completed their 567th? Day of intense bombardment so I expect the trenches in front of them are nearly fit to attack.
The peas and beans arrived today. The peas are in excellent condition, some of the beanslooked a little bruised and were turning brown, but will probably be excellent, we are having them tonight.
I got an awfully nice letter from Uncle Fred last night, I feel very sorry for him.
I hope you will be amenable to discipline and remain in bed as along as you are ordered, so that you will be up and about and quite well again when I come home on leave. Is Peggy allowed to do everything again now?
All parcels are arriving regularly. Best of love to you all
Yr loving son
Cuthbert

No comments:

Post a Comment