Search This Blog

Saturday 13 August 2011

Letter to Mother: August 13th 1916

My dear Mother
I am having an easy at present and have seen numbers of old friends. Percy came round and looked me up the other day. If we can keep on catching Germans and Austrians at this rate we ought to have mopped them all up in under a yea. The news all round is most satisfactory. I got a taste of German gas last week for the first time. I did not get it strong and it had no effect whatever on me.
The weather here is poisonously hot and muggy, we want some rain badly.
Tell Cecil the peas don’t travel well, they get tasteless and flowery before they arrive. They would probably do better in their pods. The melon was excellent. There is any amount of fruit and vegetables procurable here now, so it is hardly worth sending any out here, though it is jolly good of her to think of it.
I shan’t get leave for another month yet. I have really quite a lot to say, but it’s not much good when you are not allowed to.
I have lost Father’s last letter but I believe he said Raymond’s memorial would cost £80 so I enclose a cheque. If it turns out to be more please let me know.
Your loving son
Cuthbert

No comments:

Post a Comment