Search This Blog

Sunday 5 June 2011

War Diary Entry: 5th June 1916


I tried to get into Gezincourt yesterday afternoon to see Kelly who was reported to be very bad, but was informed that the Army Commander was coming to see me at 4..30pm. Sir Henry Rawlinson turned up at that hour and stopped about 20 minutes asking questions about the coming operations.

I went into Gezincourt this afternoon and found poor old Kelly dying. He was practically unconscious but recognised me once or twice and managed to say a few words. He is a magnificent character, he knew he was dying, and was going to join his two brothers who have been killed in the war, and said he would watch over my interest when he got there. On the way back I called in at Laurencourt on the 86th Brigade for tea, and then at divn hd qrs to congratulate Abbot on his CMG. Dined with KOSBs.

No comments:

Post a Comment